10 Ways to Save for the Holidays
It’s hard to believe that the holidays are just around the corner. It’s time to start purchasing presents, hosting family dinners, and decorating your home with holiday décor, which we all know can be very expensive. We want the holidays to be fun and festive - not stressful, so here are 10 quick tips to help you save some money this holiday season:
- Give the gift of labor. Consider creating “coupons” that list out services you are going to gift to your relatives this holiday season. Coupons could include cleaning out your significant other’s car, offering to babysit your family members’ children so they can enjoy a night out on the town, or shoveling out someone’s driveway. Giving your time and help can mean so much more than a purchased gift.
- Spend quality time with your family at home, instead of going out. Have a family game night, watch your favorite holiday movie, or bake festive cookies, which will allow you to spend time with one another, without breaking the bank.
- Plan your meals around the grocery store’s fliers or coupons. The small savings can really add up, especially when planning large family feasts. And don’t forget to purchase your groceries using your Camden National Bank debit card for cash-back rewards on every purchase. Don’t have one? Find out how you can get rewarded .
- Write a list before you go shopping and stick to it. If you walk down each and every aisle of the grocery store, you are bound to purchase items that you do not necessarily need.
- Try avoiding fast food restaurants. These meals can be unhealthy for your body and your wallet. Packing snacks while on the go can prevent you from these tempting, quick fixes.
- Prepare food in advance to avoid going out to eat. When you are prepping your holiday casserole for your family dinner, make four at once and freeze the others for a quick meal on those nights when you have a lot going on or when you just don’t feel like cooking.
- Make your own gifts this year. Pinterest is a great source for creative gift ideas for whoever is on your shopping list!
- Do your holiday shopping right after the holidays. Take advantage of the huge sales that take place at stores after the holidays pass. Purchase holiday décor, electronics, clothing and more at low prices to prepare you for next year’s holiday season. It may cost you a little up front, but in the long run it will save you a lot of money!
- Check out free events going on in your home town. Dig out your local, community calendar to see what events your family would enjoy!
- Get creative with your leftovers. Having turkey this Thanksgiving? Make a delicious turkey pot pie with the leftovers this year. It will save you from making an extra trip to the grocery store!